Don’t chew with your mouth open… Don’t pick your nose… And please say please… Thank you!
Seems like in real life, most of us have manage those little unspoken and unenforced standards of conduct that help make life, for lack of a better word, civilized.
As anyone who grew up in a Latino household can attest, bad manners in our families were often quickly resolved by mom’s trusty “Chancleta”. In social media, however, there seem to be no guidelines for proper behavior. In fact, a recent survey by the Consumer Internet Barometer found that one of the most common complaints among social networking regulars is lack of “manners.”
The very basic rules of human interaction can sometimes elude even the most seasoned social media players…
So tonight, we’ll crowdsource a refresher course! One of the great things of being Latinos in Social Media is that we are able to write our own rules! So come and share your thoughts, tips and pet peeves – and let’s do it together!
– What are your biggest beefs about manners in social media?
– Do rules of conduct differ depending on the platform you are using?
– How do you handle the mix of business and family contacts in social media?
– How do you deal with impoliteness online ?
– What are your preferred tips for behaving in social media?
– Is social media etiquette even necessary?
THE USUAL PARTY POINTERS:
- You’ll need a Twitter account (free) to join the party. If you don’t have one, you can sign up here
- Be sure to follow Elianne Ramos [@ergeekgoddess] before the party so you can follow the flow = When you get this many Latinos under one “cyber-roof”, it can get very crazy!
- Also follow @ergeekgoddess1 [I tend to get into “tweetjail” for reaching my API limit].
- When you get to the party, introduce yourself and jump right into the conversation!
- Use the tag #latism in all of your party tweets.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!