If you have been following LATISM, you know our members are civic-minded people with a clear, strong, opinionated voice when it comes to Latino issues in the United States. As an organization, one of our goals is to provide YOU with the tools you need to exercise your rights to speak your mind about Latino-community related topics.
For this reason, this coming first week of October, LATISM will bring you TWO opportunities to speak up and make your voice heard with the institutions that count about the issues that matter: TWO Twitter Town Halls with VERY HIGH officials in the US Government. These are UNIQUE opportunities for our LATISM community to access these officials directly, and voice their concerns about two of the topics that need the most attention right now for our community and for America: JOBS and EDUCATION.
We urge our community to not miss this opportunity to be at the national conversation table. HERE’S HOW:
1) Please send your questions via Twitter using the hashtags listed below for each event BEFORE THE EVENTS
2) We’ll index and share your questions with the respective organizers
3) Join our live discussion at the alloted times.
UNITE. ENGAGE. MOBILIZE. THIS IS OUR TIME TO RAISE OUR VOICES, #LATISM!
Kicking-off a week of White House events designed to bring attention to the importance of educational excellence for Hispanics, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics Director Juan Sepúlveda will participate in a live-streamed Twitter town hall, and they’re partnering with us so you can be there!
The town hall will include participants from across the country who follow the White House Initiative’s @HispanicEd. Twitter users will begin posting questions today and continue to post questions through Monday using the hashtags #HispanicEd and #LATISM.
WHITE HOUSE INITIATIVE ON EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE FOR HISPANICS TWITTER TOWN HALL
- DATE: Monday, October 3, 2011
- TIME: 2:30 p.m. ET (11:30 a.m. PT)
- HASHTAGS: #HISPANICED and #LATISM
- LIVESTREAM: https://www.ustream.tv/channel/education-department
- U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
- Juan Sepúlveda, Director, White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics
- Vanessa Hauc, Telemundo Network News, @vanessahauc
- Yarel Ramos, mun2 Television, @Yarel_Ramos
- Ana Patricia Candiani, KVEA-TV Los Angeles, @apcandiani
- Jorge Ramos, WNJU-TV New York, @Telemundo47
- Daniel Morales, KTMD-TV Houston, @TelemundoHou
- Janet Rodriguez, KTAZ-TV Phoenix, @JournalistJanet
- Ana Roca-Castro, Chair, LATISM, @AnaRC
- Elianne Ramos, Vice chair, LATISM, @ergeekgoddess
In recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month, Sen. Tom Udall (D-NM) will participate in a “Twitter Conversation” with LATISM and the larger community about creating jobs and opportunities in Hispanic communities.
Senator Udall will answer YOUR questions and discuss how Hispanic communities would benefit from policies to create jobs and help small businesses, with the participation of the Center for American Progress, Univision and LATISM.
SENATOR UDALL: TWITTER CONVERSATION ON JOBS AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR LATINO COMMUNITIES
- DATE: Wednesday, October 5, 2011
- TIME: 2:30 pm EDT
- HASHTAGS: #HHMChat and #LATISM
- @SenatorTomUdall (Senator Tom Udall, New Mexico)
- @CAPAction (Center for American Progress)
- @CAPespanol (Center for American Progress Action Spanish)
- @CAPAction (Center for American Progress Action Fund )
- @ergeekgoddess, Elianne Ramos, LATISM
- @AmProg (Center for American Progress) *Moderator
- @uninoticias (Noticias Univision)
- @univisionnews (Univision News in English)
- @alpunto (Univision’s Sunday morning public affairs show)
- @pacoalfaro (Carlos Alfaro, Social Media, Univision)
- @selycolon (Selymar Colon, Social Media, Univision)
- @conz (Connie Pretti, Social Media, Univision)