There are 25 million Latinas in the US, and according to the latest statistics, Latinas are more likely to enroll in college than their male counterparts; they are also increasingly choosing careers in the politics and technology arenas. If current trends continue, Latinas will continue to make great strides in the boardroom, classroom and conference room by the dawn of the next decade.
Educational attainment is, of course the key, and also one of the hardest challenges for Latinas to overcome. Finding solutions to the educational challenges of Latino/as in the US is also one of the main pillars of our organization’s mission.
So tomorrow night, starting at 8-9PM CST/ 9-10PM EST, we invite you to join us for a special 1-hour LATISM discussion: We’ll be exploring the topic of higher educational attainment and Latinas, in partnership with Latina Smart program from Kmart.
- How is the experience of the modern Latina different from that of the previous generation?
- What are some of the barriers Latinas are facing as they seek to leave their mark in the professional arena?
- Does growing up American and Latina affect Latinas educational aspirations?
- Is there a gender gap when it comes to Latinos/as and professional/educational achievement?
- Is the higher education meeting the challenges of increasing Latina students and staff?
- What words of advice would you give to a young Latina exploring her career paths?
ABOUT LATINA SMART: As believers that education is the best vehicle to success, Kmart has developed the Latina Smart Program, focused on the advancement of the Hispanics in the US. Latina Smart is a celebration of Latina life, the passion and sabor of the women who embrace who they are and know exactly where they want to go. The Latina Smart Fund is awarding a total of $25,000 in scholarships to students. Visit the Latina Smart Facebook page for more information. https://www.facebook.com/Latinasmart
The generous support of our sponsors helps LATISM fund our scholarships, educational events, conferences and other programs throughout the year.