• Latinos don’t vote
• Latinos have no political clout
• Latinos don’t participate in politics
WE KNOW too many people have fought too hard to make sure all citizens of all colors, races, ethnicities, genders, and abilities can vote.
WE KNOW it is the right and duty of those of us who are eligible to vote on behalf of those who aren’t.
WE KNOW now is the time for Latinos to decide what role we will play in America’s future and what we want politically…
– Why are these particular elections so important for Latinos?
– What would be the consequences of not voting?
– How can we “send a clear message” to politicians who ignore or act against our culture? [HINT, HINT: VOTING!]
– And most importantly, how can we go beyond words to prompt more Latino voter participation?
BE THERE… and for God’s Sakes, this Tuesday, November 2nd
GET OUT THE VOTE!!
As you know, Univision has been running their Peabody award-winning “Ya es Hora” initiative since 2007, as a national civic engagement campaign developed to inform, educate and motivate Hispanics to participate in the American political dialogue.
This multi-layered campaign seeks to mobilize and assist millions of Latinos to pursue naturalization, participate in the 2010 Census, register to vote, and make their voices heard in elections.
LATISM is honored to be part of a coalition of the nation’s largest and most established Hispanic organizations and the country’s largest Spanish-language media companies partnering with Univision. With us, @martinberlanga – News Anchor/correspondent for the Univision Network – will join our conversation about the current situation and the importance of voting for Latinos.
- You’ll need a Twitter account (free) to join the party. If you don’t have one, you can sign up here.
- Be sure to follow Elianne Ramos [@ergeekgoddess] before the party so you can follow the flow
- Also follow @ergeekgoddess1 and @ElianneRamos [I tend to get into “tweetjail” for reaching my API limit]
- Use the hashtags #latism and #yaeshora in all of your party tweets
- Have fun!