After a whirlwind week, in which the Supreme Court reached historic verdicts on two of the most controversial issues of our time, the deluge of online of commentary was to be expected. After all, if there’s one thing social media has done is facilitate the sharing of opinions. Naturally, we couldn’t waste the opportunity to find out what was in our peeps’ minds after Thursday’s upholding of the Affordable Care Act.
What we found: A mix of hope, apprehension and confusion adding up to TONS of questions! Read the full Healthcare Reform LATISM Party Transcript here – a full recap of the online reaction to the verdict, straight out of the mouths – and minds – of the most influential Latinos in social media. We want to thank NBC Latino, Voxxi News, Dolores Huerta and every single one of the participants [too many to mention] for a truly spirited conversation and for sharing! I’d also like to personally thank Sarykarmen Maldonado, anchor for Telemundo Austin, for this interview about the online response to the news.
Lest we fall into speculation, it’ll be perhaps some time before we can truly see and/or understand the ful scope of the law – and it may be too soon to tell what the true long-term benefit of it will be to our community. In the meantime, we have compiled a couple of resources to help you better understand the law. Get informed, mi gente, and PLEASE SHARE THESE!
- Health Care Law: Full Text
- Infographic on the Affordable Care Act
- Healthcare Reform: Understand the New Law
- State-by-State Fact Sheets on Benefits to Your Community
- Spanish-Language information about the New Health Law
- Health Reform GPS
- Health Reform Implementation Timeline (an interactive tool designed to explain how and when the provisions of the health reform law will be implemented over the next several years)