Stereotypes of the Latino “macho” and the Latina “submissive little lady” are deeply entrenched in society. As far as stereotypes go, though, this one might actually have some bearing: traditional Latino culture did dictate that males had complete power over their wives and children as men provide for their family while the women were in charge of the supporting, nurturing role.
In the US Latino reality, however, those roles are not necessarily practical. As men have ceased to be the sole source of family incomes, and women have joined the academic and professional ranks in droves, the roles have become virtually interchangeable. For Latinos/as who grew up in this country where the roles are less restricting, this may not even be an issue. Which means that we may have, at long last, erased the gender role lines.
Or have we?
Join us tonight as we discuss LATINOS/AS AND GENDER
– Is there still a “Guerra de los sexos” going on in Latino culture?
– Is the “Macho Latino” just a myth?
– Are Latinas “machistas” too?
– How do we move towards true equality?
– And where do our Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Latinos/as fit in this equation?
Join us tonight, it should be a fiery conversation!
As part of tonight’s party, we’ll be raffling one ticket to PR/MKTG Camp East, a $300 value! Here are more details!
THE USUAL PARTY POINTERS:
- You’ll need a Twitter account (free) to join the party. If you don’t have one, you can sign up here.
- Be sure to follow Elianne Ramos [@ergeekgoddess] before the party so you can follow the flow = When you get this many Latinos under one “cyber-roof”, it can get very crazy!
- Also follow @ergeekgoddess1 [I tend to get into “tweetjail” for reaching my API limit].
- When you get to the party, introduce yourself and jump right into the conversation!
- Use the tag #latism in all of your party tweets.
- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!